Study Guide for Reading Assignment 4
STUDY GUIDE FOR READING ASSIGNMENT 4
J.Gresham Machen, Origin of Paul's Religion
Read the Origin of Paul’s Religion, chapters 7-8. Use the study questions below as you read and study for the exams.
50. What eastern religions became most influential in the later Roman Empire?
51. According to Reitzenstein, what was the concept regarding knowledge that Paul supposedly borrowed from mystery religions?
52. Machen argues that Paul learned his doctrine of knowledge from where?
53. According to Reitzenstein, what concept regarding the Spirit did Paul supposedly borrow from mystery religions?
54. Machen argues that Paul learned his doctrine of the Spirit from where?
55. According to the modern school of comparative religion, from where did Paul get his understanding of the sacraments?
56. According to Bousset, did the Jerusalem Christian community consider Jesus as "Lord"?
57. Bousset asserts that Paul received the idea of calling Jesus "Lord" from where?
58. According to Machen, where did Paul learn the use of the term "Lord"?
59. Machen says, "Here lies the profoundest of all differences between Paul and contemporary religion. Paulinism was not a philosophy; it was not a set of directions for escape from the misery of the world ; it was not an account of what had always been true. On the contrary, it was_________________________________"
60. In Paul's epistles, what does the term "justify" mean, according to Machen?
61. What does Paul mean when he speaks of the "Spiritual man," according to Machen?
62. Did Paul teach that the human soul no longer exists in the truly "spiritual man"?
63. Justification focuses on how salvation frees us from what?
64. The description “new creation” focuses on how salvation frees us from what?