In this lesson we will study the topic of Jesus Christ, as presented in the Apostles' Creed. We will do this in three major sections regarding His:
In preparation for this lesson, read John 1:1-14, Philippians 2:5-11, Hebrews 1:1-14, and Hebrews 2:5-18. Write down what this has to teach us about the divinity and humanity of Jesus. Why is it important to recognize both His humanity and His divinity?
You should also continue memorizing the creed. For this lesson, you should make sure that you have memorized all that is highlighted in bold.
I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
Maker of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit
and born of the virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to hell.
The third day he rose again from the dead.
He ascended to heaven
and is seated at the right hand of
God the Father Almighty.
From there he will come to judge
the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.
Goals and Objectives of Lesson 3
In this lesson, we would like to accomplish the following:
1. We hope you will grow in your love for Jesus Christ, in your gratitude toward Him for what He has done for you, and in your desire to worship Him for His attributes. We hope you will be convinced of the doctrines about Christ taught in the Apostles' Creed.
2. We hope you will make use of all the resources and activities of the lesson to understand the key biblical teachings about the divinity, the humanity, and the work of Christ.
3. We hope you make some changes in your life as a response to the teachings of this lesson. How does it change the way you live, the way you relate to Christ, and the way you worship Him?
When you have done the following, it will show that the goals are met:
1. Use all the resources and complete all the written assignments of the lesson, expressing your understanding of the person and work of Christ and your gratitude and love for Him.
2. Obtain a satisfactory grade on the test, demonstrating that you can identify important theological terminology and key orthodox expressions regarding the divinity, the humanity, and the saving work of Christ.
3. Answer the application questions in the study guides, in which you demonstrate how you apply the teachings of this lesson to your own life.
"Instructions for Lesson 3"
Carefully read the "Instructions for Lesson 3." You may want to print them out so that you can refer to them as you proceed through the assignments.
If you need a little reminder of how to do the assignments, go back to the instructions of lesson one and read the "General Instructions for Assignments" again.