STUDY GUIDE FOR READING ASSIGNMENT 4
Herman Witsius, The Economy of the Covenants, pages 19-290.
Answer the following review questions:
1. How does the author define "covenant" and "testament?"
2. What role did animal sacrifices play in the making of a covenant?
3. What happens when you break a covenant?
4. Understand the author's view of Leviticus 26:25.
5. What are you rejecting when you reject the teachings of the covenant?
6. What does the author call the covenants we find in Scripture?
7. What are the natures of the covenants we find in Scripture?
8. Who are the mediators of the covenants if any we find in Scripture?
9. Who are the parties of the covenants?
10. What does the “image of God” mean?
11. Understand the role Adam played in redemptive history.
12. When does the law come into play?
13. What is the law of nature?
14. How do you summarize the law?
15. What were the conditions and promises of the Covenant of Works?
16. Understand the author’s view of God’s holiness and the importance of that reality to the conditions of salvation.
17. What are sacraments?
18. What are the sacraments of the Covenant of Works?
19. What are the significances of God’s resting on the seventh day?
20. Who is the author of sin?
21. Who is the head of mankind?
22. What is the Covenant of Grace?
23. How many covenants of Grace do we have in Scripture?
24. How many economies of the Covenant of Grace do we find and what are they called?
25. Know about the sacraments listed under the economy of Abraham.
26. How are we to understand the salvation of Old Testament saints?